Jan 28, 2020

No ban on Chinese tourists – Foreign Min.

The Foreign Relations Ministry said that there is no ban on Chinese tourists visiting Sri Lanka.

The Foreign Relations Ministry Spokesperson Ruwanthi Delpitiya told the media that there was no truth to the rumours being spread that Sri Lanka had suspended issuing visas to Chinese nationals visiting Sri Lanka.  

However, she said that instructions had been received where Chinese nationals arriving in the country from the affected provinces would be identified at the BIA and subjected to a special quarantine process.

Meanwhile, the Aruna Newspaper had reported that Foreign Relations Minister Dinesh Gunawardena had issued directions for the Sri Lankan Embassy in China and the Chinese Embassy in Sri Lanka to remain open 24 hours to facilitate any assistance.

The minister said that the reason for this request is to ensure the fullest possible assistance to the Sri Lankans  affected by the Coronavirus outbreak.

The Ministry also said that this would also enable Sri Lankans in China to access any information round the clock as well as Chinese nationals intending to visit Sri Lanka to access any information.

Top