Sources at the Police Headquarters told The Sunday Morning that ongoing investigations had concluded that Eknaligoda was last in Army custody before he went missing. Police sources said that the Army had not been giving its full backing to the ongoing investigations as the main suspects were military intelligence officers.
“We have not been receiving the full cooperation of the Army. They can easily take action against the officers accused. We are now going to seek the AG’s advise to file murder charges on the accused officers,” Police sources said.
Sources said that the investigations had stalled as Army assistance was required to take the case further.
“The investigations cannot move further without Army assistance,” Police sources added.
However, when The Sunday Morning contacted Army Spokesman Brigadier Sumith Atapattu, he insisted that the Army had been assisting the investigations.
He said that if there was evidence against any Army officer then the Army would take action against the officer.
However, the Army Spokesman also stated that if murder charges were filed against any officer without evidence then the military would use its legal division to protect those officers.
Eknaligoda was reported missing on 24 January, 2010 – two days before the presidential elections.
Investigations progressed at a slow pace.
However the change of government in 2015 saw rapid progress in the investigations into the incident and at least three military intelligence officers were arrested but were later released on bail.
(The Sunday Morning)