Sathosa
Aug 16, 2018

Bus strike successful?

The private bus strike launched by the private bus operators from last night (15) is currently in force.

Although a few busses operated on a few routes, many of the long distance busses are not operational, it is reported.

However, several busses from the Anuradhapura bus terminal to Colombo had been operational, while our correspondent said that busses commencing their run from Matara on the Southern Highway are also operating.

During the morning, except for a few long distance busses, many of the other busses are operating, it is said.

The bus strike was launched based on several demands including the reduction of fines which was increased.

According to the All Ceylon Private Bus Workers’ Association Organizer U.K. Kumararatne Renuka, although the relevant authorities were notified no favourable response was received.

However, they had decided not to support the Private Bus Owners’ strike.

The Inter-Provincial Private Bus Association (IPPBA) President Sarath Vijitha Kumara said he was not in support of the strike.

The All Ceylon Private Bus Owners Federation Secretary Anjana Priyanjith when contacted said that he was of a moderate view with regard to the strike action.

No strike in Nuwara Eliya, Hatton!

Meanwhile, the Deputy Transport Minister Ashok Abeysinghe said that launching a strike based on these demands was totally unjustified.

The Hatton and Nuwara Eliya private busses have refused to render their assistance for the bust strike and the short and long distance busses from the Hatton main bust terminal was operating as usual.

However, the bus drivers said that they had been threatened by certain groups in Kandy during the Hatton – Kandy commute.

The photos show the Hatton vehicle park working busily.

 Pix by Ranjith Rajapaksha – Hatton Corr.

bus1

bus2

bus3

bus4

bus5

bus6

bus7

Leave a comment

Make sure you enter all the required information, indicated by an asterisk (*). HTML code is not allowed.

Top